Business & Commercial Law
Mark Sullivan deals with all forms of commercial litigation but with an emphasis on matters involving contractual disputes, including partnership and construction disputes. He represents local authorities, large and small companies and private individuals in a range of contractual matters and has conducted cases in the Technology & Construction Court.
He accepts instructions under Conditional Fee Agreements in appropriate cases. He is also registered for direct access.
Current and past cases include:
- Premiership footballer in dispute with former agent;
- Well-known entertainer in dispute over termination of performance agreement;
- Former partner in financial services business following dissolution of business;
- Local authority in dispute with electricity distributor following electrical fire.
Mark Sulllivan has particular expertise in matters of civil fraud. For the first 15 years of practice he specialised in prosecuting and defending white-collar crime. He was previously on the Attorney General’s list in relation to, inter alia, prosecutions by DBIS (formerly DTI) and DWP as well as acting in several high profile cases for HMRC. His Defence work covered many areas including VAT fraud, fraud by company Directors and complex confiscation proceedings under the Proceeds of Crime Act 2002.
His previous experience in accountancy and banking means he is able to bring extensive financial and commercial knowledge as well as his legal skills to any case in which he is instructed.
Current and recent cases include:
- Advising and representing education authority in connection with claim against 2 employees for alleged fraudulent claims for overtime payments over many years;
- Advising Company Director on potential civil and criminal liability in relation to allegations of corrupt practices and bribery;
- Representing registered charity in claim against former Trustee for alleged breach of trust and fiduciary duty;
- Advising individual on potential liability and remedies, including judicial review, following VAT investigation by HMRC resulting in prosecution
- Advising Company on possible criminal liability and civil recovery in relation to alleged fraudulent activity of a co-Director involving possible bribery and parallel trading.
In addition, Mark Sullivan has considerable experience of advising on, applying for and resisting applications for pre-emptive relief, including freezing orders and other injunctive relief.